Post Top Ad

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hear Me Out: Remembering Aaliyah

As most of you already know, today marks the 10th year anniversary of r&b's fallen angel Aaliyah. Aaliyah who passed in 2001 in a fatal plane crash embodied so much soul and beauty that she could brighten up anyone's day.  I remember exactly where I was when it all happened.  I was at home and my mom came in my room and sat on my bed.  She didn't say a word which I thought was strange considering the fact that she's always quick to engage in conversation.  She trembled on her words a bit as she uttered "Um, there's something I need to tell you" ending in the horrific news.  At that moment a rush of emotions came over me.  I was silent, completely silent.  Confused even. At age 11 hearing that one of your favorite artists passed away is a hard pill to swallow. I couldn't quite grasp onto the concept that someone could be there one day and then gone the next.  It didn't make any sense to me.  I glanced over at the posters on my wall and the smile on her face solidified just how alive she was, so how can she be dead?  It didn't really sink in until we turned on the news.  Every major network was delivering the tragic news and by hearing it over and over again from various sources, that's when I knew that she was really gone. 
Her second studio album, One In A Million, which sold over two million copies in the U.S is still one of my favorite albums. Tracks like 4 Page Letter and Hot Like Fire just remind me of how much talent she possessed. My favorite video from her would definitely have to be Rock the Boat.  There's this raw angelic presence about it which is magical yet eerie at the same time.  Ironically enough the airplane crash that took her life at the tender age of 22 was flying out of the Bahamas right after filming this video. The visual symbolic message of the video kind of gives me the feeling that Aaliyah saw this coming in a way.  It was kind of like her own way of saying goodbye. I know that's weird to say but that's just how I feel.  Especially at the end of the video around the 5:15 mark.  She looks into the camera for a split second and then gracefully floats to the top as if she is peacefully on her way to heaven. It's beautiful. While stumbling on Youtube I came across some behind the scenes footage of the video shoot in the Bahamas.
Aaliyah you have touched so many lives in ways unimaginable to man.  Your voice healed wounds and mended broken hearts all at the same time. You will be sorely missed. R.I.P
2:03 PM / by / 2 Comments

2 comments:

cloudylyt said...

i like this. thanks for this information. i hop you can go to my website herein My Music

Joey said...

Thank you! Will do :)

Post Top Ad