Post Top Ad

Friday, June 17, 2011

Vampire Weekend


Remember when MTV used to do Artist of the Week a few years ago? Each week they'd feature an underground artist of varying genres accompanied by a short clip of the artist introducing themselves and one of the first bands that they featured was Vampire Weekend.  They had such a unique look and sound and I needed to know more.  Soon after hearing about them Vampire Weekend became a common name among my friends and I so we bought a ticket to see them at the First Unitarian Church in Philly.  The night of the show I remember waiting in line for hours after the proposed time.  Doors were supposed to open at like 7:30PM but I don't think we got in until almost 9.  It wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't raining and cold but everyone forgot all about that once we were finally let in.

The First Unitarian is one of the smallest venues that I have ever been to.  Probably one of the oddest as well, you know since its located at the basement of a church.  Complete oxymoron depending on the band rocking out but that's besides the point.  I kinda love it because it's so personable. You are one with the artist. You are one with the show. You are one with the music.  The base from the booming speakers were so loud that it literally made my legs tremble but I appreciated every minute of it.


Opening the show was Sam Rosen.  One of the uhh strangest performances I've seen but uhh okay for what its worth I guess. Right after that came Vampire Weekend! They were so sweet and put on such a wonderful show.  They had the crowd singing and dancing along the whole time completely keeping us all entertained. In between some of the performances they talked a little giving us a little background story which was pretty cool.  My favorite performance was A-Punk, especially since the song has my name in it! This show experience was prior to the fame making it so raw and stripped of the glam.  No flashing lights and special sound effects, just music.  After the show everyone started to file out of the building but the party continued on for my friends and I. We stuck around for a bit and formed our own little dance party right in front of the stage with a couple of other people which was pretty cool.  A few feet away from us Chris Tomson (drummer) who was talking to a fellow fan, noticed our insanely outrageous dancing and glanced over a couple of times (yep, I saw him looking).  Too chicken to approach him I convinced one of my friends to go talk to him first, allowing the rest of us to swiftly make our way in as well.  He was so sweet and actually engaged in conversation which was a plus!

12:00 AM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post Top Ad