Post Top Ad

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Check It!: Don't 'Sleep' On Allen Stone

A few weeks ago one of my co-workers introduced me to the soulful sounds of Allen Stone and my jaw nearly hit the floor when I heard the pipes on this dude.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I first saw him but good lord almighty, effortless.  The twenty-five year old native of Chewelah Washington coins himself as the ideal hippie with soul and he has every right to do so.  In fact, I'm almost 100% certain that his photo would be directly under the definition in Webster's dictionary if it was an actual term.  He's got an old school 70's rhythm and blues meets modern day gospel vibe to him which comes as no surprise since he grew up in the church; daddy was an old time preacher man.  Allen proves himself to be quite the poet as well.  While Sleep is the most identifiable song of his Unaware is quite unforgettable in my eyes.  Its profound lyrics let you know that there is more than meets the eye--or ear in this case.  Watch the live version below and you'll see exactly what I mean.  
"Every day taxes increase. So is this our land or is it our lease? Papa says son it's the land of the free. As he broke his back trying to make ends meet"

11:35 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post Top Ad